Here's a golden tip if you are looking to improve takedown speed and effectiveness...
How to Make Your Takedowns Twice as Effective!
When you are going for a takedown, you use a combination of muscles. Of course you use the muscles of the hamstrings, glutes and lower back. These 'posterior chain muscles' come from crouching as you prepare to 'shoot in' on your opponent.
You also use your back muscles, and the muscles of the arms and 'hands.' The back muscles work along with your grip to 'pull the leg in.'
Along with your posterior chain muscles you need to get the back muscles and your grip super-strong. If you want to get your back incredibly strong try using 'wrist straps.' Wrist straps are a nylon piece of material that loop around the wrists, and are then wrapped around the bar or handle when performing back exercises. They give you a stronger grip, and prevent the bar or handles from slipping out of your hands. Your back muscles are stronger than the muscles that allow you to grip, so using wrist straps will immediately allow you to train pullups, chinups, rows, shrugs, and any other back exercises with more intensity. Getting your back muscles stronger will help wrestlers 'finish' their takedowns better.
As far as your grip strength...? Use the thick bar for curls, reverse curls, and presses. The thick bar will give you a grip of steel!
That's all for this week...
PS. To see an incredible wrestling strength training program that will get your posterior-chain muscles as well as the rest of your body diesel-strong for the wrestling mat, be sure to check out my 'Champion Strength Training for Wrestlers!' DVD here:
- ► 2009 (27)
- 6 Minute Conditioning Kicked My @$$!
- 10 Tips to pack on muscle and move UP a weight cla...
- How To Make Your Takedowns Twice as Effective!
- Should Wrestlers Take Supplements?
- How To Get a Wrestling Scholarship!
- How To Get Into Top Condition Fast... Every Wrestl...
- How To Cut Weight Without Losing Strength!
- 3 Supplements for Wrestlers Who Are Cutting Weight...
- 2 Day Per Week Inseason Power and Strength Workout...
- Why Jogging Is Hurting Your Wrestling Performance!...
- ▼ October (10)
- Steve Preston
- I am a 20 + years Sports Performance Specialist. I work exclusively with wrestlers to help them gain strength, speed, flexibility and endurance to win more matches. I also coach wrestlers on how to cut weight without losing strength. My website www.wrestlingperformance.com is a members-only site where you can get hundreds of my articles, tips, strategies, workouts, interviews etc. to help you gain the edge. I also provide personal coaching in our members forum :) I'm a dog lover... My Schnauzer named Gracie is our baby. My wife is Michelle, the greatest person in my life.