Friday, January 16, 2009
I just finished creating a 5 day ecourse called,"How To Cut 10lbs In 3 Days." It's a free 5 day email course, where you'll get a daily tip for 5 days... It really works too!
Sign up for it here:
FREE 5 Day 'How To Cut 10 lbs In 3 Days!' ecourse!
Wrestlers, coaches and parents want to know:
- How to get into condition for wrestling
- How to get stronger for wrestling
- How to get faster for wrestling
I often get asked how to get wrestlers stronger, faster and better conditioned with just bodyweight too.
So... I created this system I call '6 minute conditioning.' Here's what it's all about...
In order to increase your strength for wrestling you must consider these factors:
1. There must be progressive resistance, demanding more stimulus from the muscles with successive workouts.
2. Multi-joint exercises are best when trying to increase overall body strength.
Wrestlers should have some component of 'static contraction' training in order to get strong for the mat. This means they should have exercises where the muscle is 'held still' while contracting. This is often what occurs during a match.
3. Muscular strength is developed quickly by occasionally training a muscle to momentary muscular failure.
In order to increase your speed/power for wrestling you must consider these factors:
1. Plyometric exercises are great for speed but only when used on muscle that you've already gotten stronger.
2. Jumping exercise is crucial to increasing takedown and foot speed.
3. Frequent low-repetition sets of low intensity/high velocity exercise increase speed.
In order to increase conditioning for wrestling you must consider these factors:
1. Wrestling is anaerobic, not aerobic, so low intensity distance jogs will not get you in shape overall.
2. Circuit training relies on using short bursts of cardio followed by numerous different strength training exercises for a certain amount of time. This is inefficient both for strength AND for wrestling conditioning.
3. The best ways to condition for wrestling are wrestling itself, and anaerobic training that is similiar in terms of duration and intensity to a wrestling match.
With this in mind, I created a 6 Minute Conditioning (TM) that will take all of these factors into account, and help any aged wrestler develop these wrestling MUSTS at the same time.
Here's an example of what you do:
Use a stopwatch or a wristwatch with a second hand. Set the time for 6 minutes.
Use a multi-joint bodyweight exercise AND a static contraction exercise for the workout. In this example I'll use a Pushup and a Lunge.
Start the stopwatch and immediately crank out 5 perfect pushups.
With no rest, go immediately into a Plank for 20 seconds.
After 20 seconds, immediately perform 5 more perfect pushups.
Follow this with the Plank for 20 more seconds... etc.
This is done until 6 minutes are up, or you can no longer finish the workout.
Make sure that you do the entire workout for longer time the next time (if you failed before the time was up) or add a second combination of exercises for an increased workout.
This workout is going to get you stronger because you train until failure (cripes... I see 400lb bench pressers struggling to squeeze out another pushup after only 4 minutes on this one).
It gets you more powerful and faster because of the frequent 5 rep sets before fatigue sets in. Your power is developed first, followed by strength in this workout... but they work in combination.
It gets you in ultimate condition because you are on a 6 minute schedule (similiar to a wrestling match). The static contraction exercise is brutal because it forces you to really work the core as you are really starting to breathe heavy.
Give this sample program a try with a Pushup and Plank. I've created a 7 day program with some very unique and effective bodyweight exercises to get the most out of your wrestling this season.
More to come...
PS. You can access the entire 6 Minute Conditioning Program when you're a member of Wrestling Performance - The World's #1 Resource for Wrestlers, Coaches and Parents Seeking Cutting Edge Strength, Conditioning and Nutrition Information For Improved Mat Performance!
Some people are actually laying out a solid plan based on exercise and nutrition.
Others are going to go on yet another fad diet.
Even worse, lots and lots of soon to be disheartened folks will be turning to the latest miracle pill they've seen on TV or the Internet.
It's sad really.
The marketing for these pills gets cranked up to full blast now that it's January. These far less than reputable companies know how desperate people are. And they certainly know how much greater that desperation becomes in January.
Look, you and I know better. We know that the only way you're going to Kung Fu that fat off your belly, butt, hips and thighs is to eat right and exercise.
Know what else is sad?
Once people come to grips with the fact they've been ripped off over and over by these "miracle" diet pill companies, oftentimes they'll refuse to listen to reason about nutritional products that have actual benefits.
For instance, did you know that Essential Fatty Acid products help promote fat loss through the stabilization of blood sugar levels?
And that they may also help regulate mood, improve heart health and decrease joint pain?
If people are looking for a pill to take - one that is actually based on research - they should strongly consider adding an Essential Fatty Acids product to their diet.
I'm asked all the time what I use and it's Prograde's EFA Icon
Again, I know you're to smart to fall for the gimmicks, but if you know of anyone trying a diet pill this January, please tell them to get real. They'll be better off for it.
Yours in health,
PS - Again, if you're looking to add a great Essential Fatty Acid product to your diet be sure to check out Prograde's EFA Icon. It's the best out there.
Monday, January 12, 2009
I have some great news for you today... but first I want to mention something I feel strongly about...
If I had it my way, wrestlers would never cut weight. I would love to see all wrestlers eat well, train hard, and wrestle their best 'always!!'
However... we all know that as long as wrestling is a sport, there will be an urgent temptation to cut weight.
As a Sports Performance Specialist who works with wrestlers, it is my job to make sure you guys get good information on nutrition as well as training to be your best.
I just released a f.r.e.e. 5 day email ecourse called 'How To Lose 10lbs In 3 Days!' .
It is my basic plan that I've been using with athletes for years who needed to cut weight fast but didn't want to starve or dehydrate.
But I'm not going to offer it for long... in fact, I may pull the information down soon.
Get it at:
You'll receive a quick tip each day for the next 5 days which will help you cut weight without losing strength.
Let me know if you have any questions...
PS. I have only 16 copies left of the 'How To Cut Weight for Wrestling' DVD. I'm not sure if I'm going to make more copies... You can still get a copy today though.
- ▼ 2009 (27)
- Steve Preston
- I am a 20 + years Sports Performance Specialist. I work exclusively with wrestlers to help them gain strength, speed, flexibility and endurance to win more matches. I also coach wrestlers on how to cut weight without losing strength. My website www.wrestlingperformance.com is a members-only site where you can get hundreds of my articles, tips, strategies, workouts, interviews etc. to help you gain the edge. I also provide personal coaching in our members forum :) I'm a dog lover... My Schnauzer named Gracie is our baby. My wife is Michelle, the greatest person in my life.